Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Help!

I'm the world's WORST gift-giver. Ever. I mean, seriously bad. I have good intentions but I just can't ever seem to come up with anything good. I start thinking on ideas months in advance and still end up scrambling a week ahead of time to muster up some pitiful gift.

The worst part? Jay is the world's BEST gift-giver. No joke. I am spoiled beyond belief. He has given me so much jewelry that I could wear a different nice piece every day for probably a month. He surprised me with canvas paintings taken from photographs I'd done of the kids for mother's day once. All of my camera equipment is thanks to him. He got me the cutest leather camera bag that cost an absolute fortune and I really didn't need just because I mentioned how awesome they were. (It really is--polka dot lining and everything--I'll show you sometime). When he worked nights I would frequently wake up to fresh flowers and a sweet card on the nightstand with a long note written in it. He surprises me with trips and concert tickets to my favorite group. If he sees a pair of shoes or an outfit that he thinks I would like then he'll buy it and surprise me with it just because "I'm a good wife & mother" (he thinks--we know better). When I read Twilight I just mentioned how excited I was to start the next one and I'd have to look for it on my lunch break the next day. Well the next morning he had all 4 of the next books stacked up for me when I woke up. (He even stole the 2nd one from the Athens State Library because Walmart didn't have it but he had ordered it online and had it overnighted so I got it the next day and he could return that one). The other day he saw a lady with a cool necklace on that he thought I'd like so he asked her where she got it and then went straight there and bought me one. I could go on and on and on....

Sounds great, right? WRONG!!! It's awful. Don't get me wrong, I realize how extremely lucky I am and I am ever so grateful to have such an amazing husband but the thing is ...this makes for a miserable partnership. He always gets me amazing gifts and puts so much thought into them and I always feel like an idiot because I have some awful gift for him. Sometimes, I'm almost ashamed to admit (notice I say almost because clearly if you've read my blog then you know I have no shame) I've even just not gotten him anything at all because I figured what's the point? Why should I spend money on something he really doesn't want, need and probably won't ever use? How does he come up with so many great ideas when I can't come up with one for him?!

I've almost come to the conclusion that it's his own fault. Any time he wants something he buys it. The only great ideas I can come up with are the ones too expensive for him to go buy which also means I can't exactly go get them either. So I need your help. Father's Day is Sunday and our anniversary is Monday--Double Whammy!! Bryson thinks he needs a remote control (typical male, huh?) and Kynsley wants to get him "Peeeeejamas" so I figured I'd let the kids get their own gifts for him but he deserves a real one too. Any suggestions??

4 comments:

Leanne Helums said...

Boy I could copy this and post it on my blog because that is how well this applies to me. Guys are so hard buy for. Father's day and our anniversary are both on Sunday and I have nothing!!!

KLewter said...

Please share whatever you decide to get him. Mine and Zeb's anniversary is Tuesday, and I'm giftless and idealess. He's like Jay and buys whatever he wants.

Kathryn Lewter

Dana said...

What are his hobbies? Other than being a wonderful husband and father.

"Allie Play" said...

I think this applies to almost everyone reading. I am not telling you my idea for Matt because he might read this and find out. I think I actually have a good idea this year! Yay me!! Anyway, have you ever thought about making him a coupon book? I did this for an anniversary years ago. Things like...redeem this for a 30-minute massage, redeem this for a free car wash, redeem this for a supper of your choice...etc. Whatever applies to his likes...